Every morning a group of 6-8 workers would meet at the shop where we would receive our morning announcements and assignments. We then went out to different areas in side the county lines and looked for mosquitoes, in their different stages (egg raft, larvae, pupa, and adult), and treated those areas accordingly. The job itself was very straight forward and not complicated at all, but what was difficult for me was learning the surrounding area and getting used to the different creatures I would encounter along the way. (It's probably good for you to understand at this point that I don't like bugs, snakes, spiders, etc.)
Well, it isn't very hard to guess that I had a few encounters with some different wild creatures. If you look at the pictures below you can see exactly what I saw this summer.
It seemed like horses were everywhere
Frogs in almost every pond
You never knew when you would walk across a rattlesnake - You just had to listen for the rattle
I had to check myself every day to see if I had any ticks attached to me. I made it through the summer tick free!On my last week of work I was stung by three wasps.
I could write a much loner list of everything I saw but this should give you an idea of what I saw during the summer. Because I don't like half of the creatures I told you about I spent most of my time trying to avoid them, which was nearly impossible. When I wasn't running away from bugs I was looking for mosquitoes. Here are some more pictures that show what I was looking for.
It might be hard to see but if you look close you can see all of the mosquito larvae. If I found some of these in my dipper then I would get the appropriate larvacide and spray the mosquitoes. Like I said earlier, the job wasn't too difficult but I definitely gained a better appreciation for those who do this all the time. Just imagine if no one killed the mosquitoes. You'd be scratching all summer long.
That about wraps it up for now. In the next few days I'll try to write down what life is like down in Houston. I start my first day of school tomorrow and am really excited to start teaching. I'll keep y'all posted.



4 comments:
Wow! So good to hear from you. Sounds like you had a "buggy" summer. We look forward to your frequent reports. Love, Mom and Dad
So Joe can write after all. Thanks for you efforts in eradicating the evil we call the mosquito. Good luck with the teaching.
Good luck with teaching, Joe! If you ever need some ideas, give me a holler :)
Joe! This brought back so many good (and bad..) memories! We missed you and your humor after you left! I'm sorry to hear that the moving company was kind of a bust...Hope you and Tena and Brooklyn are doing great and staying away from that hurricane!
Post a Comment