Thursday, February 21, 2008

Utah vs Houston

No, this post is not referring to a basketball game or anything like that. Some of you might have already heard, but Joe and I have really been contemplating and praying about where he should do his internship/student teaching to complete his degree in History teaching. There are actually 4 places that BYU will let you teach--these places include Utah, Houston (Texas), Washington D.C., and Mexico. Now, I wouldn't mind visiting Mexico with Joe but if I'd have to get around by myself, I don't speak a lick of Spanish. D.C. is beautiful, but it's just way too expensive to live there and so far away from family. So that left us will the decision between Utah and Houston.

It was a hard decision, but we decided to move to Houston. We will be moving in August. After weighing out all the pros and cons to each place, the bottom line was that we felt Houston would give us the opportunities needed to help Joe get his Masters Degree as well as help our family get a good start with a job and then after a few years, be able to choose where we want to "plant our roots" as opposed to feeling stuck. We want to be closer to both our families and hopefully this decision now will help with our decisions in the not too distant future.

We appreciate very much the support of our families with our decision! THANKS!!!

4 comments:

Sue said...

How exciting! We will obviously miss you, but there's something great about venturing out with your new little family. When will you be leaving?

Smelly Moose said...

I'm glad you'll be spending the summer in O-town though, so I'll hopefully get to see you a few times before you leave! Congrats on your decision! Good luck!

Jamo said...

That's fantastic! Send my regards to Kingwood, Humble, Orange, Beaumont, Pasadena... the whole place. Houston is a great place, and at least a couple years back it was very affordable. The best Mexican food in the entire city is in Pasadena, next to the mall. It's a little restaurant called "Taqueria Agave", at the corner of Red Bluff and South St. After 7 years I still haven't found its equal in Utah. Hopefully things haven't changed drastically since I came home in 2001.

-Jamo

WILBERT PUDDICOMBE said...

SO I TAKE IT THE NICE COLD NORTH DOESN'T HAVE A CHANCE OF ATTRACTING U!!!! MAYBE SOME DAY U WILL VISIT US!!! BUT PHONE AHEAD IN CASE SOMEONELSE HAS BOOKED THE SPARE ROOM.