I saw this cartoon the other day and it made me stop and ask myself, "Which line am I in?" I would like to say I am more gracious than selfish but that may not be the truth. Unfortunately there are times when I might complain and try to find someone or something else to whom I can pin my problems. It's at these moments I realize I need to stop complaining and look more at the positive. I need to be more grateful and share my gratitude with others. For those of you who become bored with this feel free to click on another blog - I just wanted to share a little gratitude before heading off to work.
Friends from WJ - Thanks for the good influence. I see a lot of teenagers down here in Houston who are making very serious mistakes. They think having a good time means one has to drink alcohol, get into a serious relationship at too young an age, or do drugs to have a good time on the weekend. When I hear about the choices they make it reminds me of the countless basketball games and movie nights.
Mission companions, friends and others from Miami - You gave me so much confidence. Thank you for allowing me to push myself outside of my comfort zone.
Jones Brothers - Thanks for the great examples that you set for me. You all live your lives in a way that makes me want to be better. I know you're not perfect, but it sure seems like you guys always seem to make the right choices and do the right things. Thank you for all the individual acts of kindness you have offered to Tena, Brooklyn and myself. You have all done so many different things for us that we are most likely forever in your debt. Thank you for always offering to be there for us when we need an extra hand. Even though we are a long ways away from Utah, California and Afghanistan the offers to help continue to come in.
Haworth Brothers - I can't thank you enough for the great brothers you have been to Tena. I know she values her relationship with each of you more than just about anything. No one can replace her big brothers. She loves talking to you on the phone and hearing how everything is going in your lives. I'm especially thankful to Tony for clearing up Tena's criminal background. We both appreciate so much how all of you welcome us into your homes and lives. We love spending time with you and wish that we could see you more.
Mom and Dad Haworth - Thank you for taking the time to come and see us last week. I'm sorry that I had to work the majority of the time but it was still nice to be together. Thank you for all your countless prayers and other forms of help. You have been there for every question that we've had. One day we hope to be able to help you with something.
Mom and Dad Jones - Thanks for all the phone calls. You don't need to feel like you call too much. It's always nice to talk to you and hear how things are going. We sure wish we could see you more often. I personally see how your examples bless my life every day.
Tena and Brooklyn - I love you both very much. Thank you for your patience and kindness. I hope that you see my gratitude each day by the way I try to live my life. You are the two most important people in my life and I love you very much.
Okay - I'm not the type to get too emotional or sappy but I wanted to thank all of you for what you do for me. It's about time I start doing things for other people. I'm going to do my best to make sure that I am always standing on the right hand side of the "complaint/gratitude" line.
6 comments:
Kid you not, this is probably one of the greatest blog posts I've EVER read. way to go, Joe! Pretty sure I need to spend more time in the gratitude line as well.
Joe...I loved this post. Thanks for your thoughts. Although, I did notice you left out your favorite sister-in-law (I won't name names...don't want to make anyone feel bad :). If you're looking for ways to show your gratitude, I'm hosting "the more you give, the more you live" challenge on my blog. Check it out! Miss you guys.
What a sweetheart--thanks! I love you!
Thanks for the reminder to count my blessings!
Natalie
Joe, really a great post! Thanks for sharing your feelings with us...and it's fun to see how you appreciate other people for the many things they've done. It's amazing how many people come together to help us get through life. We sure think you and Tena and Brooklyn are the best.
Love, Dad
Hi Joe,
That was a great post. It's good to look for the positive and be appreciative. I am so grateful for all my many blessing and for all the great people in my life. Thank you for being one of those people. I love you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment